Why did you decide to become a Surveyor?
- I originally started with the company back in 1995 employed as a damp-proofing operative then due to my keen work ethic was promoted to Senior Technician within about 4 years. I have always been interested in the technical aspects of the work. So, when I was offered an opportunity to train to become a Surveyor this allowed me to use the knowledge I had and learn more about all aspects of our work.
Which areas of your work interest you most?
- I enjoy all aspects of our work from resin repairs to basement waterproofing, but my area of expertise is domestic ventilation. As well as being a CSRT and CSSW qualified Surveyor I have taken the B-Pec domestic ventilation qualification and am also a key member of the Property Care Associations (PCA) Domestic Ventilation Steering group. I not only provide advice and support throughout the company but also to private and large social landlords in relation to condensation and ventilation.
What is your favourite part of the job?
- One of my favourite parts of my role is meeting new people and being able to problem solve. It’s great when someone presents you with something that is affecting their quality of life or preventing them from enjoying their home and you are able to provide a correct and cost-effective viable solution.
What are the 3 key attributes that make you successful as a surveyor?
- Knowledge – The knowledge that I have built up throughout my career as well as my commitment to continued professional development means that I can give clients informed advice.
- Problem solving skills – I am very technically minded, so enjoy solving problems when a client approaches me with an unusual or tricky issue, I enjoy providing a workable solution.
- Communication – Everyone likes to feel that they have been listened to and understood. I enjoy being able to talk with clients, listen to what they need from me and explain what may be causing their issues and how they can fix it.
What do you enjoy doing outside of work hours?
- I am a very practical person with exceptional general building and carpentry skills and enjoy working on different projects for friends and family, so I can be found helping lay patios, painting fences but my favourite would be working on cars!